Tips to Pack Carry-on Luggage for Air Travel
During air travel, carry-on luggage is one important part of your travel, don’t you think so? Even if you have check-in bags, carry-on bags are some thing that is always with you and you have to be comfortable while carrying those around. So here are some tips while you pack your carry-on bags. If you ever want to travel only with carry-on luggage, these tips would be of much help for you.
- First of all check with your airline about the measurement restrictions for carry-on luggage. Domestic and International are usually different. Measure your bag three ways; length wise, the depth and side to side. Add these three together and you have the size of your bag.
- Pack your stuff in plastic bags, by squeezing out the air you can get more in them. Rolling your clothes takes up less space. If you are concerned about wrinkles you can buy wrinkle free clothes, use the hotel’s iron, or lay them flat for your outgoing trip and then as you collect things on your trip roll them up for the return trip.
- Wear one long pair of pants and pack two short pair, or reversed depending on the weather. If you like to wear skirts or dresses, change out one of these.
- Wear one shirt and take two other shirts for a total of three. These can be two short sleeves and one long sleeve if going to a warm climate, or reversed for a cold climate. Check the local weather before you pack
- Take as many socks and underwear as you are willing to wash out-I mean if you don’t want to wash only every four to six days then take that many
- Wear your larger shoes and pack your lighter ones. If you will only need one pair, that saves even more space. Two pair might be a good idea if you are planning on going to the beach, out for the evening, or if you think you may get your feet wet.
- For cosmetics take as few as possible and in 3 oz. or smaller sizes as those are the TSA rules. Put all gels and liquids in a quart size plastic zip bag before getting to the airport. Place them in the outside pocket of your luggage and you can take it out easily to go through security.
- Pack enough medications for the duration of your trip and a few extra pills in case of emergencies. Keep these in their original bottles, ask the pharmacists to put them in the smallest bottles available with a label.
- If you need a curling iron or blow dryer buy a travel size. Everyplace I have been are now providing blow dryers. Buy smaller hair brushes.
- Use a bungee cord to attach a jacket to your bag to stroll through the airport, doesn’t take up valuable space on the inside of your bag
There is an exhaustive list of luggage and size limits for carry-on baggage here (sorted as per the airline you are traveling with). Hope it helps you as well!